Re: A Violent Realisation [Was: Preferences]

Miguel de Icaza <miguel ximian com> writes:
> I want to get work done just as much as you do, but reading this thread
> is scaring me.  It scares me because I am thinking `I am being
> marginalized, and my feature I depend on will not be there, and I will
> end up running some other desktop that does do what I need'.

The goal of the project should be to appeal to users who did not like
and could not use the traditional desktop.

I think we can do that without losing traditional free software
users. For example, KDE has many such users and doesn't have viewports
and never has. ;-) But yes, the traditional free software users are
not and shouldn't be our _primary_ focus.

The _focus_ of the project, the _idea_ of it, should be to get new
users who expect a simple Just Works user interface. If the goal was
to get you or me to use the desktop, we would have just said "OK,
fvwm2 is great, let's keep it."

But Miguel, you _also_ haven't answered the questions I've posed:

 - what is the guideline on which prefs to include?

 - how would you refute or address the argument that each preference
   has a cost? If you want to make a convincing argument, look at the
   specific list of costs in my little essay, and address each one.

This thread is just a lot of pointless emotional speculation based on
unfounded fears, unless those questions are addressed.

Havoc