Re: [Deskbar] The future of Deskbar

2006/9/15, Stuart Langridge <sil kryogenix org>:
On 9/14/06, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen > Therefore I suggest a
compromise. Make a sane installation mechanism in
> the pref ui - besides the NewStuffManager. I have never liked the idea
> of people having to drop files in ~/.gnome2/deskbar-applet/handlers.

Personally, I think that that's because dropping stuff in a dot
directory is awkward. I've got a LIbrary directory in my home, with
"Deskbar Applet" in there being a symlink to
~/.gnome2/deskbar-applet/handlers, which is much more convenient.
That's not something that Deskbar can fix alone, though; it'd need
Gnome as a whole to fix it :(

> Maybe just dropping a file (with py,tgz,tbz2 etc) onto the handler list?
> This would just copy/extract to g2/db/handlers, and then auto enable.

That's a pretty cool idea. It would be really nice if (a) it also
accepted text/urllist drags and downloaded the linked file and (b) you
could drag onto the icon or text entry as well, because then you could
install a new handler by just dragging a link straight from your web
browser to the deskbar icon on your panel, which would be ultra-easy
to do.

Yeah, drop onto deskbar to install is a great idea. I'm totally with you on this one.

Cheers,
Mikkel