Re: [Deskbar] The future pf Deskbar

Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 18:36 +0100, Stuart Langridge wrote:
>> A thought about installing new handlers: I think it'd be good to have
>> a newly installed handler automatically be enabled. Instead of having
>> just an enabled_handlers key in gconf, have an enabled_handlers and a
>> disabled_handlers; any handler you find that isn't in either when you
>> load handlers, add it to enabled_handlers. It's a pretty safe bet that
>> if someone installs a handler (instead of it being one of the ones
>> that comes with deskbar) then they want to use it, and I had a bug
>> report on my just-released Units handler saying "it doesn't work",
>> when it turned out that they hadn't enabled it.
>
> Sorry for the late reply - I'm finding it a bit hard to get time for
> both writing mails and writing code atm :-D
>
> Well, I see your point, but I'm not really exited about enabling third
> party handlers without the user obviously changing a deskbar pref.
>
> I would like to hear a few other opinions about this... Raph, Nigel,
> Seb, <your_name_here>?

I don't think enabling 3rd party handlers by default is a good idea, too.
Maybe we could mark newly installed handlers in the preferences window. I
personally like the way SLED does it with newly installed applications.
There's a categorie at the top that says newly installed applications.

--
Greetings,
Sebastian Pölsterl