Re: Inital Deb Filter

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 11:26 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> > There is technically the new .autopackage format, but its pretty rare
> > atm and basically derives all of its information from a rpm or deb
> > package. Should the format take off, we can deal with it then, but it
> > looks to be collapsing under its own weight.

Autopackages are not generated from RPMs or DEBs. They're independently
generated from their own .apspec file.

> In a former life I spent a lot of time pining for a new packaging
> format.  Unless a large distribution picks it up, it's dead in the
> water.

I believe one of the big advantages of autopackage is that it's
distro-neutral and geared towards applications which aren't shipped with
the distros.

Anyway, I'm not an autopackage expert.

Richard