Re: Inital Deb Filter

> 1) Do we not want to index any dependency information at all? ATM I
> was planning on leaving in the code in the deb filter that extracted
> and stored all the dependencies, which might be a nice UI
> feature/something that someone who writes a 'Package Backend' would
> need.

Dependencies add a certain level of complication, you need the name as
well as version of packages. For the time being store the dependencies
directly in FilterDeb; I will have a look at what I can extract about
dependencies from RPM files push everything to FilterPackage. Showing
a loooooooong list of dependencies (e.g. that of beagle ;- ) ) might
not be easy in beagle-search :-D

Just another thought, computing dependencies of a  package is
complicated; there can be direct dependencies and then recersively one
can compute many more indirect ones. Package-managers/installers are
best trained to compute/show dependencies. Even if beagle can show the
direct dependencies it probably wont (and shouldnt) try to compute and
show the whole dependency tree.

> 2) Are we making the description a property or the text. In the debian
> world, the Description of a package is 2-6 paragraphs detailing the
> packages function. Which seems much more like something we should
> treat as text (ie AppendText()) as opposed to a huge property.
> Especially since debian package descriptions can be very long, we
> would want to have the option of snippeting the descriptions, not
> displaying the whole thing in the UI. (Hence why I have SnippetMode =
> true).

Ok. I agree with you. I will change description to be stored as text.

> 3) ATM the FilterPackage class includes some information that Debian
> archives do not include (ie license and homepage being the primary
> culprits) Those fields can be left blank, but since the information is
> not available in all packages, shouldn't it be just in the FilterRPM
> class?

Ahh.. I took the common intersection of Ebuild and RPM filters :)
Yeah. Those should be removed and made specific to ebuild/rpm as appropriate.
(Why doesnt debian store copyright information :O ?)

I will fix filterrpm, filterebuild/filterpackage within the next few days.

Debajyoti Bera @ http://dbera.blogspot.com