Re: Inital Deb Filter

On 4/23/06, D Bera <dbera web gmail com> wrote:
> > Also, with regards to homepage, should I store the maintainers e-mail
> > address there? (perhaps as a mailto: ?) debian does not encourage the
> > use of web pages as references since they can be transient. (although,
> > e-mails seem to be about the same, but w/e)
>
> I think we can store these properties as common ones:
> 1) Name - store in the variable PackageName
> 2) Version - PackageVersion
> 3) Maintainer/Packager email (is this important to be stored ? - I
> never look at this field :) - Packager
I just separated the e-mail from the name, we can dump it all in the same field
> 4) Description - Description
> 5) (If available, maybe ?) Changelog - ebuild probably doesnt have
> this, ignore it
Debian stores it remotely, its possible to get, but it would require
that we open a new connection to the internet every time we index, or
that we extract(install) the entire archive...
> 6) Section/Group - PackageGroup
>
> Pat, which of these are available in ebuilds ?
>
> - dBera
>
> PS: Are there any other popular linux packages other than deb, rpm and ebuild ?

There is technically the new .autopackage format, but its pretty rare
atm and basically derives all of its information from a rpm or deb
package. Should the format take off, we can deal with it then, but it
looks to be collapsing under its own weight.

--
Cheers,
Kevin Kubasik