Re: [Banshee-List] Fetching Metadata

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 7:32 PM, SUDDENTWIGS <newholm1 hotmail com> wrote:
I have been using 1.6.1. I have been trying to install 2.6, but when I do it

1.6.1  is two and a half years old. Mostly likely you're hit by a problem that was fixed
one year later (MusicBrainz now requires a HTTP UserAgent header when queried).

installed the Musicbrainz Picard application; this appears to run separately
from Banshee, and I do not know how to connect the two.

You're not supposed "to connect the two". Picard is there to get a "second opinion",
because both Picard and Banshee use basically the same lookup method and Internet database.
Insert a CD where Banshee fails to load metadata, then do "Lookup CD" in Picard.
If Picard does recognize the CD, the problem is with Banshee. If Picard fails, too,
MusicBrainz simply doesn't have the metadata for it. That happens sometimes, but
it's unlikely to happen for many CDs.

You're best bet is to install a more recent version of Banshee.

I have been using 1.6.1. I have been trying to install 2.6, but when I do it
tells me I am still using 1.6.1,

What do you mean by "trying to install"? Installing either succeeds or fails,
your package manager should have told you.

Cheers, Roderich

All in all, I am a
little stuck.