Re: [Banshee-List] Problem with compilation albums

On Mon, 2011-06-13 at 08:07 -0700, jc wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 21:13:38 +0100, "A. James Lewis" <james fsck co uk>
>  wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 15:55 +0200, Tommy Carstensen wrote:
> >> If you right click your track and choose "Edit Track Information",
> >> then you can check the "Compilation Album Artist" box and fill out
> >> the
> >> name of the compilation artist (e.g. Various Artists). I hope this
> >> helps. Tommy
> >>
> > Yes, I can see that you can do that... my question is why is it felt
> > that when Banshee is really targeted at replacing Rhythmbox, why it
> > does
> > not read the tags written by that player correctly?
> >

>  The reason for the seperate album/artist display is the possibilty of
>  duplicate album titles. I have two albums titled "The Definitive
>  Collection," one by John Lee Hooker and one by Buddy Holly. Rhythymbox
>  displays these as the same album, while Banshee correctly distinguishes
>  them. The only way to distinguish them in Rhythymbox is to to change the
>  album title. Rhythymbox also has a very limited tag editor, so there's
>  little information to use in importing a library. Banshee isn't perfect,
>  but I think you'll start to appreciate its features more as you go
>  along.

This is a very reasonable response... I have asked these questions
before and never (to my mind) had a good answer.... I'm very reluctant
to use an auto-tagger because I've spent a long time fixing the typo's
incorrect, or different capitalization etc, and situations where each
disk in a set is labeled slightly differently... so re-tagging
everything from (probably the same) internet database is not very
appealing.

That said, I would really recommend having some popup with advice about
the situation and what to do... perhaps if more than 10 "albums" with
the same name appear.

When I installed Ubuntu 11.04, which comes with Banshee rather than
Rhythmbox, it immediately told me I had 55,000 albums... that's rather
hard to comprehend when it's not clear why this is the case... and I'd
re-tagged about 100 of them before I discovered that the default is not
to write the information back to the files...

I researched the tagging formats used by the popular players, and
Banshee is very much better at tagging the files than almost anything
else as far as I can see... so it is worth making the effort, but
finding some way to smooth the transition would be rather useful... in
addition to a popup with an explanation of the problem if many files are
split which "might" be in the same album... I would also suggest having
a way to enable writing tags back on a 1 off basis in the edit screen,
rather than just globally in preferences.... otherwise people will
assume that it's updating the files, as that is the default in
Rhythmbox.

James.