Re: [Banshee-List] Problem with compilation albums

On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 15:55 +0200, Tommy Carstensen wrote:
> If you right click your track and choose "Edit Track Information",
> then you can check the "Compilation Album Artist" box and fill out the
> name of the compilation artist (e.g. Various Artists). I hope this
> helps. Tommy

Yes, I can see that you can do that... my question is why is it felt
that when Banshee is really targeted at replacing Rhythmbox, why it does
not read the tags written by that player correctly?

I have a slight correction of my previous comment to make, since I did
find the option in preferences to allow it to write the changes back to
the tags in the file, and although I would have liked if it was more
obvious in the "Edit Track Information" dialog... I can see that this is
a learning curve for the application.

That said, I now have some 500 albums to update... I would not embark on
this task unless the work was saved back to the files, but at the same
time, this will involve literally weeks of my upload bandwidth to push
these changes back to the cloud storage, and so... having looked very
closely at the tags involved previously, while I agree that Banshee is
more correct in what it writes than Rhythmbox... it does seem
unreasonable not to recognise what has been written by rhythmbox, when
tags written by Windows Media Centre and iTunes are even more vague, and
are handled explicitly.

James.