Re: [Banshee-List] video player

Ok,
best to found idea is ask to my wife ;)))
So here the new idea.
In fact, the view get more cloth to moovida or itune but with a treeview on bottom panel.
a big pannel with cover on top. Cover is for movie/ tv show. A more info button link to webbrowser view about the video wit summary, actors, producer ...

And on bottom the 2cd panel with episodes.
Episodes are organised in a treeview. the season is parent and episode son.
The treeview is not a basic treeview. We have a button to get more info on each row we have column to have title, duration, episode, file name.

advantage:
I keep the idea of filter as a playlist to cut movies from tv/show.
Not have to get in/out of tv/show all is under eyes. When seeing a list of episode we can switch to another tv show without get out of current view.
more consistency with music/album view
for tv show with a lot of season we can hide season with treeview
When we watch the 235e episode we do need to have summary. So put it as an option and focus on navigation.
The more info will be a panel which come from right and we can hide it by clicking on the vertical bar of the frame.

We can imagine to store the last viewed episode of tvshow to open the good season next time ;)

Now, have to do a mockup to explain but as you see, I am pretty bad to this exercise...

cheer,

Olivier Dufour

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM, zekopeko <zekopeko gmail com> wrote:
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Alex Launi <alex launi gmail com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 5:40 PM, zekopeko <zekopeko gmail com> wrote:
>>
>> You made the same mistake I did. This isn't a media centre for TVs and
>> projectors. So there is no need to have lots of cover art. Banshee
>> should display the relevant information in an organized fashion.
>
> I'm sorry, why not? This seems like a great space for Banshee to grow into.
> If we're going to do some UI redesigning, designing for anything other than
> growth would be folly. What are the differences between a UI for a media
> center designed for TVs/projectors, and one for the PC? What about other
> form factors? Tablets, netbooks, etc. We don't need to address all of these
> (tablets and phone would certainly have a different UI than one for a TV),
> but really I don't see where one would design differently for a TV vs. the
> PC.

I disagree. The form factor and input methods are completely
different. You use a mouse and keyboard for Banshee but use a remote
for a media centre. Look at what Moovida did. They use Banshee for
media management and a separate UI for a media centre. Apple does the
same. iTunes for media management and Front Row for a media centre
(although I'm not sure if iTunes and Front Row integrate with each
other).

Banshee using video is far closer to iTunes then XBMC/Front Row.

Considering Banshee's architecture a far better approach would be to
build a new UI on top similar to how Moovida and Apple did it and
allow it to be accessed from Banshee's main interface.

Either way my point against Olivier's mockup was the clutter that
overuse of thumbnails would produce. TV Shows are like albums and
episodes are like songs. It makes more sense to have a level of
consistency that also brings organization to the design.