Re: [Banshee-List] video player

Hey,

I like both ideas:
- palylist item on sidebar for filter to let all the space to cover view
- info button to get extra info

For season, I have no good idea.
Here are my issue/use case:
- cover is for tv/show so if I click on play on the cover of the show what is show ?
- how show information about tv/show? and about this particular episodes?

==> solutions I have thinked to when tvshow is selected:
- dropdownlist & tracklist when tvshow is selected
- when selected the tv/show cover switch cover view with one cover by episode and info button.==> cover view become a nautilus ==> tv/show is about folder and episode is about file. ==> need to have button to get back to cover view for the tv/show from cover view for episodes list.

I like the 2cd solution with an explorer solution but it mean that we have 2 mode for cover view and the sytem to switch back to tv/show view from episode view is not user-friendly.

I join a little mockup to show episode view. If you click on the title in the adresse bar (on the right of season  list) it get back to regular view with civer for tv/show.

I think I will work on that a lot at fosdem and monohackfest.
So if people are present next month in Bruxelles glad to have all point of view to have the best mockup.

here is the mockup:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HXPi4Z3gO3HLm5cUgs8nSQ?feat=directlink

Olivier Dufour

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:55 PM, zekopeko <zekopeko gmail com> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 9:51 AM, olivier dufour <olivier duff gmail com> wrote:
> Hello,
> First, happy new year to all and sucess for banshee ;))
> I have got hard time to fall asleep so I am wake up this morning and
> everybody sleep in the house.
> So, I have start to refactor video source.
> First by embedded it in an extension.
> Now I have setup regexp to get season and episode of the video from file
> name.
> I store it in externalObject of trackinfo.
> But now, I want to have a custom SourceContent which will show movies/tvshow
> covers to replace the track list....

Awesome!

> But before going further, I want to know if my mokup idea is good...
> We will have a grid as in podcast or album view with cover or name of the
> movies/tv-show.
> For tv-show, we only show one cover and if user click on the cover we show a
> context pannel with the list of episodes in this tv-show.

How about:

In the sidebar we have Movies, TV Shows, Unsorted videos. Each one has
their own playlists.
Clicking on the Movies/TV Shows show the cover grid that takes all the
space left of the sidebar.

Then you mouse over the cover you get an overlay over the cover with a
play button and and info button.
Clicking the play button immediately starts playing the movie or the
tv show from the last time you watched it.

Clicking the Info button replaces the cover grid with a screen similar
to the one in Ubuntu Software Centre when you look at an app.

I'll try and mockup this screen (lets call it TV/Movies info screen)
so you get a better sense of what I would like.

> I have no filter for season, do you need it? else have to add a dropdown
> list or do you prefer a panel as the one of artist ?

Yes for season filters. I would add it to the above mentioned
TV/Movies info screen.

> The second issue, is to get cover, I have few api on web but nothing so
> good...
> - IMDB limited to 30 requests by hour a light api with no covers but text
> metadata and url of page on imdb
> - freecovers have covers but no metadata
> - thetvdb seems good for tv show with metadata and image but it is not
> cover, it is a banner... and of course not for movies ;(
> someone know another db?
> Show informations (actors, summary,...) about the movies :
> - in context pan when selected
> - with a getinfo item in context menu and show in popup window
> I prefer the second option because it will make naviguation easy by keeping
> a big place for grid.

Please no pop up windows. It looks less integrated. The context menu
should be avoided if possible.

> For dvd source, I think to show the page of imdb of the movies to replace
> the single lined track list.
> But, what can we do if no connection, or custom dvd witch is not on imdb ?
> I really want to make banshee a cool video player. So I need feedback answer
> about my concept/idea.
> Olivier Dufour

For movies you can use: http://www.themoviedb.org/

Thanks for working on this. Now lets just make it awesome! I'll try
and post some crude mock up later.