Re: [Banshee-List] encode HTC G1 sync to ogg

i see two main ways to implement this....

1. The user drags the files onto the device icon. The files are transcoded
on the fly and copied to the device.

2. Banshee from time to time, perhaps when idle converts some/all of the
library and stores it in another location.  Perhaps taking from the the most
played would be a good idea.  When the user wants a track copied to their
device, banshee checks if it has been encoded already and copies it onto the
device if it has.  Else it encodes the files immediately as in number 1.  Of
course this will not be set to default as some users may not want to
sacrifice the extra space.

The advantage of 2. however is that time will be saved since the files to
copy are already available.

The problem I can see, however, is how banshee is to recognise that the two
different tracks represent the same track.

I guess we could go by filename + extension where the filename must be the
same in both file types.  Another way may be to prescan each media file and
get the md3 of it, making it unique. This could be put into a comment in the
converted file which will be the association between the two files.

I guess the latter may be cumbersome and the first enough. Though i do see
problems with that too.

Any ideas?