Re: [Banshee-List] A couple of griefs with banshee.

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:26 PM, LCID Fire <lcid-fire gmx net> wrote:
>> This was removed, but will be back in the upcoming 1.2 release (very soon).
> Does anyone have a list of old features and which version they will be
> present again to have a REAL 1.0 version?

I think the Roadmap might show that.  I'm not sure what a "real 1.0"
means, since everybody has different features that matter to them.
Does 1.0 mean the project is finished and everybody can go home?  :-P

>>> Next I was looking at the last.fm item, I was asking myself why it is
>>> featured so prominently? Is banshee related to last.fm? I thought it is a
>>> Novell project? Using Mono?
>>> Please correct me if I am wrong ( I am serious about this..)
>>
>> Last.fm is a very popular service completely unrelated to Novell or
>> Mono.  People use it to share what music they are listening to, and to
>> listen to free radio stations generated based on tags or similar
>> artists.  Give it a try, you might like it.
> The problem with 1.0 is that the related music stuff (the lower panel)
> was removed, too - which was to me THE most useful lastfm feature. I
> mean neighbours are nice - but seeing similar artists when playing
> something is a 100 times more useful for me.

Back for 1.2.

>>> Then I saw video. And then I got confused again. Is banshee now able to play
>>> movies? If yes, why? VLC, Totem, MPlayer play movies. So is banshee now also
>>> movie player? Could someone correct me on this?
>>> Especially that in the app itself it is written "Video library"..
>>
>> Yes, Banshee can now play videos using gstreamer, just like Totem does.
> That's a little short answer. The point was WTF is banshee now playing
> video, too?

Banshee is trying to fill the niche of being a *media* player now.  If
you're already using it for audio podcasts, isn't it logical that you
would also use it to handle video podcasts (because you have FF set up
to use Banshee as your podcast manager)?  If you're already using
Banshee to sync music to your portable media player, and that player
handles video, isn't it natural to handle it all in one app?  It's not
like audio and video are these unrelated domains.

And you don't have to use it for video if you don't want to.  I don't
personally use Banshee to handle video playback, but I think it's
fairly obvious why some people welcome that feature.  It doesn't
appear to bother iTunes users.

Sandy