Re: [Banshee-List] A couple of griefs with banshee.

2008/7/3 Arafat Medini <arafato gmail com>:
> Hi Banshee developers!
>
> I am a "new" banshee user who tried to switch to banshee with version 1.0 my
> switch was unfortunately mainly a failure.
> I want to try to explain what were the problems I encountered.

Thank you for providing feedback, it's very helpful!

> When downloading your debs for ubuntu, and trying to install them, banshee
> asks me to delete Tomboy, f-spot and other apps! I thought that's weired..
> It is the deb for hardy heron, which is the distro I use. And one of my main
> apps is tomboy!! Why should I get rid of it? I was very confused.
> Then I compiled banshee by hand.

I don't know what this is, but hopefully the Ubuntu packager has an
idea.  I've never heard of this happening before (but I don't use
Ubuntu).

> Then I wanted to hear some Radio, but radio was nowhere to find. Did you
> delete radio? I am also confused about this one.
> I thought radio is pretty basic. I may be wrong.

This was removed, but will be back in the upcoming 1.2 release (very soon).

> Next I was looking at the last.fm item, I was asking myself why it is
> featured so prominently? Is banshee related to last.fm? I thought it is a
> Novell project? Using Mono?
> Please correct me if I am wrong ( I am serious about this..)

Last.fm is a very popular service completely unrelated to Novell or
Mono.  People use it to share what music they are listening to, and to
listen to free radio stations generated based on tags or similar
artists.  Give it a try, you might like it.

> Then I saw video. And then I got confused again. Is banshee now able to play
> movies? If yes, why? VLC, Totem, MPlayer play movies. So is banshee now also
> movie player? Could someone correct me on this?
> Especially that in the app itself it is written "Video library"..

Yes, Banshee can now play videos using gstreamer, just like Totem does.

> Why cant I shuffle my music? How can I sort the music?

You can turn on shuffle using the drop-down by the "next" button, or
via the menus using Playback->Shuffle.

You can sort by any column, and in playlists you can drag music around
to rearrange it.  Is there something missing that you need here?

> Ok this is very personal but I don't like this 3 vertical panel view. I
> think it should be vertical with a horizontal browser per default.

View->Browser On Top.

> Also why there are nearly no options to play with? Its very little what I
> get in the package.

Can you be more specific?  What is it that you are missing?

> The umlauts in my German podcast feed are not written correctly.

Sounds like a bug...please check bugzilla and file a new bug if one
isn't there already.

> The podcast cover does not download.

Another bug, probably.

> Well and a lot of other stuff.

Please share, maybe these are just as fixable as most of your other issues?

> I am an average linux user. And I wanted to use banshee for day to day music
> "juggling". I think it is not ready for this task.

I think you need to explore it a bit more...looks like most of you
issues are very easily fixed.

Have fun,
Sandy