Re: Hard-coded colors

On 03/07/2004 08:18:57 AM, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Am 06.03.04 23:17 schrieb(en) Misu Moldovan:
>> I see two solutions:
>>
>> 1) no colors for the messages in the headers, only for the
>> icons
>> 2) colors can be changed by the user in the preferences
>
> MiÅŸu, I see your problem (and probabely, as there are so many
> themes, you're not alone with that...). Actually, the short
> description is either red or green (bad/good signature). Having
> a quick look at the prefs, we could abuse the color for a bad
> address (default red) and the color for unread mailboxes
> (default green) for that. Would this be an improvement for you?
> I must admit that adding more options to the prefs looks like a
> bad idea to me, as the dialog is already crowded.
>
> Comments?

The `unread mailbox' color has gone in Balsa 2.1, so that
solution wouldn't port.  The reason for dropping it is precisely
the same as here--using hard-coded colors just doesn't work with
themes.

How about using font changes to emphasize the signature status
instead?  In 2.1, new mail is indicated by bold (mailbox with new
mail, unread message) or slant (folder containing mailbox with
new mail, message with unread descendant) or both.

Alternatively, you could try to construct, from the theme, a
color that will be legible...but deconstructing the theme was a
pain in getting the new message formatting to theme reasonably,
wasn't it?