Re: Hard-coded colors

Am 06.03.04 14:04 schrieb(en) Misu Moldovan:
> But are these colors really needed? After all, the icons are colored
> already and are pretty self-explanatory.

The text in the message header space gives a little more detailed
information about the signature status than the icon in the message list.
I tried to implement something like a "traffic light": green is a fully
trusted good signature, yellow a good signature with insufficient trust
and/or validity, and red a bad signature, which can have a lot of
different reasons. A blue (not from the traffic light; maybe steel? ;-)
padlock in the message list indicates encryption.

> Or even better, get rid of the extra line that informs you that
> the signature is valid/invalid and rely on the icon alone. Or at
> least give us back the full control over the displayed headers and
> make it possible to disable that line.

Well, you always have a detailed signature info for each signed part, and
of course you can switch to the structure view tab to see more
information, so in this respect you're right. On the other hand, the icon
in the message list reflects a *combined* crypto status. Remember that a
signed message may contain an other (e.g. forwarded) signed message with
*different* crypto status. You may nest this over several levels, which
makes things quite complicated. So the scheme for the message list is as
follows:

- a blue padlock says that the message is encrypted, but the signature may
be bad;
- a red one says that at least one signature of that message (if there is
more than one) is bad, but others may be good;
- a yellow one says that the message contains all good signatures, but at
least one has insufficient trust/validity and
- only if the icon is green, *all* signatures are good and trusted at
least marginally.

So in the end (and this was the reason for me to implement it this way) I
think the combination of the padlock and the short status in the header
gives a good clue about which parts of a message are trustworthy and which
not, without the need to switch to the tree viev.

Cheers,
	Albrecht.

 Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
       Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de

PGP signature