Re: imap troubles

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:22:20, Kacper Wysocki wrote:
> On 02/19/04 09:28:26, Darko Obradovic wrote:
>> Am 19.02.2004 11:00 schrieb(en) Kacper Wysocki:
>>> ... and then I get the CRAM-MD5 authentication failed message.
>>
>> It could be a problem with the servers auth-mechs, which balsa isn't able
>> to handle. There are basicly 4 methods: CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, LOGIN and
>> PLAIN. The last two are cleartext, but that doesn't matter
> [..]
>> it. Or try hardcoding PLAIN as method in balsa source... :)
>
> Okay, so kmail connects to the IMAP server fine when using 'cleartext',
> LOGIN and PLAIN, while the md5 methods don't work. Sure I could hardcode

CRAM and such require extra fu on the admin side and must be explicitly
configured on the server to make things JustWork. However, some imap servers
enable it by default.

> PLAIN into balsa, but if this is an issue that has potential for failure
> not only for me, hacking in a imap connection type radio button would

If your balsa is compiled *without* GSS it should work (btw, did you ever
posted the capability line you get from the server ?) unless the server
doesn't actually know it's running behind SSL and acts extra stupid with
plain text logins

> probably be better :-) . Also there's the added benifit of having multiple
> IMAP accounts, not neccessarily of the same type/on the same server. I'm
> sadly not the man for the job, so if anyone could direct me to the
> procedures/constants relevant to hardcoding PLAIN, that would be great.

I don't think having such a radio button would be very helpfull as the choice
would be either trivial or meaningless to most people. You would either get
only one choice (PLAIN) if the server knows about SSL and is well configured
(apart from closed servers - lets ignore those :)) or you'd get a list of GSS
methods which is pretty scary.
If the server isn't broken it just works, if it is in most cases it will only
allow fittingly broken clients in.

--
Carlos Morgado - chbm(a)ma.ssive.net - http://chbm.net/
0x1FC57F0A FP:0A27 35D3 C448 3641 0573 6876 2A37 4BB2 1FC5 7F0A