Re: IMAP-problems

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 19:41:57 -0400
Peter Bloomfield <PeterBloomfield@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> All special folders except Outbox can be specified as IMAP. The
> restriction on Outbox may be difficult to get around--I've never looked
> at in detail.

Yes, but you can't *really* specify a folder in an IMAP-folder, if I do, it's gets saved in the config as a seperate IMAP-mailbox with it's own server-settings. Sometimes, it caused thje box to be shown outside the tree at the top-level, but I couldnt test that excessively due to some crashes...
Adding all my mailboxes one by one at top-level would be an acceptable way, and I tried it, but you have to enter the server-data each time and obviously you can't create folders that way, for example "lists".
I wasn't aware of the outbox-problem yet... what's the reason behind that? Abstracting it to any folder shouldn't be any different as for the other special-boxes, no?

> I agree: IMAP is obviously designed to work over a single connection;
> using more is just unwillingness to program a slightly more complex
> arrangement, with multiple mailbox connections handled (by no more than
> "SELECT <mailbox>"!) over a single connection.

So is it really libmutt connecting for ech folder seperately? Why do they advertise such things then? :)

> Iirc, Balsa creates a ".expanded" file in each *local* directory that
> was expanded, and uses it the next time it's started.  To include IMAP
> in the scheme, we'd have to implement something like an
> "ExpandedFolders" section in the config.  Not a show-stopper.

you could completely move the ".expanded" into the config for all folders, no? Like "Expanded=true" in the appropriate [folder-x]-section.

> > I'm really sorry I can only bug you with problems and not come up
> > with any solutions or patches, but this C-stuff is looking extremely
> > unfriendly to someone used to Java...
>
> Prolly matched only by how unfriendly Java looks to an old-time C
> hacker (sonny, I bin hack'n C since they *weren't* no `enum'...) ;-)

cool, must have been before 1989? :)
"it takes 10,000 hours to turn a novice into an expert"...

bye,

Darko