Re: IMAP-problems

Hi,

On 2003.04.25 08:33 Darko Obradovic wrote:
> > All special folders except Outbox can be specified as IMAP. The
> > restriction on Outbox may be difficult to get around--I've never looked
> > at in detail.
> I wasn't aware of the outbox-problem yet... what's the reason behind that?
> Abstracting it to any folder shouldn't be any different as for the other
> special-boxes, no?

Outbox is in fact a special case, Inbox used to be the same. I removed that
restriction a long time ago. With Inbox it was that pop3 was assuming that
it could always drop mail into a local (mbox) file.
With Outbox, it seems to be little more complicated, because it is just a
mailbox, after all. Sure, ESMTP may require the message in a local file,
but I don't believe so. AFAIK the message is passed in memory.
It's probably only historic and could be changed quite easily. Question is:
Why?
An IMAP Outbox makes no sense. Outbox is a mailbox that needs fast access,
because all mail senr will pass through it.
Also, it is normally emptied very frequently as mail is sent, so it would
never groew to outrageous sizes. Why put it on IMAP?

Melanie