Re: IMAP-problems

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:45:14 -0400
Peter Bloomfield <PeterBloomfield@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> On 04/11/2003, Darko Obradovic wrote:
> > I've added an IMAP-Folder in balsa, which is working. But there's
> > some trouble with subfolders. On the remote machine, I have a ".
> > maildir"-directory in the home, which is the inbox at the same time,
> > at least for now.
> > Balsa displays that as a folder INBOX.
> > When I want to create subfolders, I have to create them as subfolders
> > of INBOX, it looks like there's no chance to get a folder in parallel
> > to INBOX.
> [ snip ]
>
> If you apply the attached patch, you'll get a dump of the IMAP dialogue
> on the console--the namespace response may give you some hint.  *Don't*
> post the output without sanitizing it--it may have userid/password, and
> other neat stuff ;-)

Well, I finally got Sylpheed running (old GTK1...) and it handles the IMAP account just like expected. INBOX is a folder, and all other folders, which are below it on the filesystem, but shouldn't be in the namespace, are listed on the same level. Reading through the Namespace-RFC doesn't help me, now I'm asking myself how the hell any mail-clients gets to the idea that INBOX is a mailbox, it's just described as namespace... Maybe that is covered in the IMAP4-RFC...

As much as I've read, the webmail-interface Squirrelmail has/had the same problem, and it is considered a problem, as couriers own webmail-interface handles that "correctly", and they should know what they intended at least. :)

bye,

Darko