Re: [anjuta-devel] Python debugger

Hi Johannes,

Le 25/08/2010 22:17, Johannes Schmid a écrit :
Sure, on the other hand, PyGObject is probably much slower and has more
limitations.

Not really. Actually PyGObject supports much more libraries and details
of the C API.

Well, apparently it's not possible to have callback with PyGObject while it was possible with PyGtk. I'm agree that it supports more libraries because it easier to write bindings but perhaps less features you cannot gain everywhere. If something is not supported by PyGtk, I can write the wrapper manually, it's more difficult but possible. It looks more difficult to do the same with PyGObject.

I haven't seen any benchmarks but I also doubt that it is
any slower as the python people made it the default (and only available)
python binding for GNOME3.

I have read this post, where it says that it's "much slower"
http://blogs.gnome.org/johan/2010/07/08/using-llvm-to-speed-up-function-invocation-in-a-dynamic-language-binding/
But it can be improved using the technics described in the post.

I don't want to keep using PyGtk instead of PyGObject. I think it's better to change Anjuta or try to improve PyGObject (it's the advantage of using free software) but on the other hand it's important to keep realistic expectations.