Re: [xslt] key() in match pattern of xsl:key

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2005-12-11 05:29:25 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   I'm gonna be frank. XSLT-1.0 does not fit your need. You want to sort
> > node set and do maths with it ? Use XPath from a high level *programming
> > language* instead of trying to divert somthing XSLT was not designed for !
>
> Well, in a theoretical point of view, XSLT is a programming language.
> It is just not designed to be efficient.

I did read, however, that efficiency is one of the goals of 2.0.
Personally, I have no idea if they succeeded.

> However it has the nice
> property of not allowing side effects, as in real functional languages,
> and it also has a nice syntax (IMHO) to mix with generated XML.

That's basically why I selected it for my current project.  My original
implementation was in C++, and that was tough to maintain.

> But couldn't extensions like exslt (which libxslt can be linked with)
> be an alternative solution?

I explored that option.  I couldn't find any extension that gave me the
efficiency boost of referencing a key from a key.  Do you have any ideas?

Thanks.

Joel