Re: [xslt] key() in match pattern of xsl:key

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   oh, okay, sorry for the misunderstanding :-)

No problem.  I was actually a little shocked to find how my words sounded
upon a later reading.

The EXSLT idea isn't working out well. For a large test case, calling one
key from the match pattern of another key allows my stylesheet to run in
about 1 sec.  After converting the called key to an EXSLT user function,
it takes 25 secs.  I should've realized it would be much worse given the
large data set.

As you might imagine, I'm losing my drive for purity.  I'm hoping that
XSLT 2.0 will allow keys to reference keys, but I haven't managed to
decipher that spec well enough yet to be sure.  Moreover, there are many
aspects of 1.0 I haven't even explored yet, so its hard for me to know
whether it's reasonable to allow this capability in general.  All I'm sure
of is that libxslt handles it fine for my specific test cases.

What do you think?  If you believe it's a reasonable pursuit to make this
a formal feature of libxslt, I'll do what I can to write regression tests,
document the idea, and whatever else is required.  Just let me know.

Thanks.

Joel