Re: [xml] Trying to make libxml2 for arm (TI DaVinci)

On Sun, Feb 06, 2011 at 07:01:54PM -0500, Helmut Forren wrote:
David,

Thanks for the info.  (Please excuse me if I'm not replying in the proper
manner.  I haven't used a mail list in 20+ years!)

I'm still utterly confused...

Please assist me further with exact values to provide.  I have figured out
this evening to do "./configure --host HOST --build BUILD --target
TARGET", and so with your help I now know in general what to use for
HOST=BUILD and TARGET.  However, I still don't know the exact values.

HOST=BUILD: On my Ubuntu/VMWare/WindowsXP system, I find /usr/bin/gcc that
I believe builds for this machine.  When I provide no --host at all, it
finds this one.  But looking at the configure file, I think I must provide
a --host AND --build in order to cause cross_compile=yes.

TARGET: I also find /opt/arm-2009q1/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin/gcc which I
know compiles for my target.  However, inside the configure file I see it
really wants to but a dash in there.

Note also I saw configure searching $PATH, so I prefixed it with
/opt/arm-2009q1/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/bin.  This helps it find the
cross-compiler, but I believe at a time when it wants to compile a program
to run on the host (or build machine), not the target.

  to try to find out the correct name grep for arm in config.guess
and config.sub you're likely to find out informations about the supported
variants for the autotools used by that version of libxml2. But sometimes
one need to make guesses... at least that how I was doing 15 years ago.

Daniel