Re: [xml] When will you support xml version 1.1?

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 09:26:39AM +0200, Tim Van Holder wrote:
Adam Dickmeiss wrote:
Michael Day wrote:
Our problem area has been ISO2709 which are converted to MARCXML (from
network sources beyond our control). Right now problematic chars, say
&#7, are just thrown away. Another option to avoid data loss would for
us to make _private_ semantics <char num="7"/>.
Another option if you want to tunnel what is essentially uninterpreted
binary data through XML is to Base64 encode it, that way even NUL bytes
It's not binary. It's 7-bit ASCII. And base64 blobs does not preserve
the structure.

What a shame that this trivial-to-fix mistake in XML 1.0 "not full
UNICODE including ASCII" may not be fixed anyway.

How does structure come into it?

I don't see how

  <foo attr="&#7"/>

preserves _structure_ better than

    <attr encoding="base64">[base64 version of &#7;]</attr>

  just uuencode64 the attribute content if you want to pass binary blobs there,
no need to change the structure.

Red Hat Virtualization group
Daniel Veillard      | virtualization library