Re: [xml] SAX2 / empty namespace issue

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 06:30:15PM +1000, Michael Day wrote:

Hi Kasimier,

Dunno why it crashes, but, as I learned from Daniel, for such a
namespace disabling mechanism, XML version 1.1 must be used, since
this is allowed only in XML Namespaces 1.1. So maybe it's just the
prolog that needs to be adjusted on your side: <?xml version="1.1"?>

  Well it's is a welformed XML-1.0 document. But it is not conformant
to the namespace in XML recommandation. That's why libxml2 parser generates
an error, but not a fatal error in my own experiment. The associated code
in parser.c is:

                uri = xmlParseURI((const char *) URL);
                if (uri == NULL) {
                    xmlWarningMsg(ctxt, XML_WAR_NS_URI,
                         "xmlns:%s: '%s' is not a valid URI\n",
                                       attname, URL);
                } else {
                    if ((ctxt->pedantic) && (uri->scheme == NULL)) {
                        xmlWarningMsg(ctxt, XML_WAR_NS_URI_RELATIVE,
                                      "xmlns:%s: URI %s is not absolute\n",
                                      attname, URL);
                    }
                    xmlFreeURI(uri);
                }

Right, that is true, the XML document is not correct and an error should
be produced. However, libxml is not giving me one, which is really what I
am interested in :)

  it does, but I suspect you're using the parser in the old SAX1 compatibility
mode, i.e. the xmlParsexxx instead of xmlReadxxx entry points.

Since reporting the issue I have done some testing with valgrind and
confirmed that it does appear to be a libxml issue, with an incorrect
memory access in xmlParserError that is presumably leading to the crash on
Windows and the failure to receive an error message on Linux.

  What API entry point are you using. xmllint does not follow that behaviour.

I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with the code though; the libxml error
handling system is a little bit scary for the uninitiated :)

  well some people want really detailed informations about errors, and those
were added later in the process, so there is multiple reporting layers.

Daniel