Re: [xml] built libxml and libxslt, possible bugs

On Tue 2003-11-11 Daniel Veillard wrote:
ac_cv_header_zlib_h=no

Does this mean configure didn't find zlib?

  Yes, check with your SuSE support why this doesn't work, that's
not normal. Maybe you're missing the zlib development package.

True, thank you very much for your help.

I'll install

"zlib-devel - Include Files and Libraries mandatory for Development.

This package contains all necessary include files and libraries needed
to develop applications that require the provided includes and
libraries."

I recently switched to Linux and I'm still in the process of setting
up my environment. The /etc/xml/catalog that came with SuSE
9.0 Professional is an empty skeleton, I don't know why.

  Well probably because you didn't install the associated packages.
again check with your SuSE support.

I prefer setting up my catalog myself :)
(in this case it simply wasn't clear if the libxml package was missing
files or if it expected to find them here on my box)

In conclusion:

After seeing many warnings, error messages [errors], test result lines
for passed tests ending in "Fail" [testing], etc, it would be great if
there would be one single command or generated file telling whether
the xmllint and xsltproc I built are fully functional or not. Is there
any such command or file? I think one clear line would be useful, so
that I don't have to search through hundreds of lines to find an
issue. The tools did compile, so it wasn't even clear there there is
an issue at all.

For example, perhaps configure could have told me "Please install
zlib-devel first, then try again. No makefile was generated.". In
addition, if make would have failed I would have had a reason to look
for the source of the problem. But since make and make install ran I
could have assumed that the binaries were produced correctly.

Tobi

[errors]

I still don't know if those are relevant:

/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `./html/index.sgml': No such file or
directory
make[2]: [install-data-local] Error 1 (ignored)
[...]
/bin/sh: line 1: gtkdoc-fixxref: command not found
make[2]: [install-data-local] Error 127 (ignored)

[testing]

It would be helpful if for each desired test result there is a
"passed" and for each problematic result there is "failed". People
can't know which of the current tests should result in a line ending
in "Fail" and which should not.

--
Vim as XML Editor
http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=583