Re: [xml] built libxml and libxslt, possible bugs

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 02:32:06PM +0100, Tobias Reif wrote:
Hi Daniel et al,

I just finished compiling and installing (under my home dir, not
system-wide) the latest libxml and libxslt on SuSE 9.0 [uname]. I
don't know if I have a problem or not; if none of the below is an
issue then everything should be OK.

1. Should I somehow have compiled in libiconv and zlib?

  On Linux libiconv comes from glibc, nothing special should be needed.
Zlib should be installed, and autodetected by libxml2 configure.

2.
While configure and make ran (regression tests etc) I saw various
error messages, I'm not sure if they are of interest for you. I can
send you my installation log (commands issued plus some output) or any
of the files generated by configure, make, make tests, and make
install.

tobi ~/del/compile_libxml/libxml2-2.6.2 $ ./configure \
 --prefix=$HOME/bulk/run/libxml
[...]
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
Found Python version 2.3
could not find python2.3/Python.h
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?

  Well taht probably mean you need the development python package and
it is not installed.

[...] libxslt-1.1.0 $ make
[generated many warnings like this one:]
pattern.c:1237: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range of
data type
[... which probably is no problem.]

  Not a big deal, new gcc optimizer defeated some macro handling, I see
them too on Fedora Core 1.

tobi ~/del/compile_libxml/libxml2-2.6.2 $ make tests
[...]
## Schemas regression tests
deter0_0_0 result
group0_0_0 result
po1_0_0 result

  those failures are "normal"

## Relax-NG regression tests
docbook_0 result
0a1,6 > ./test/relaxng/docbook_0.xml:16: I/O warning : failed to load
external entity "test/dtd/4.1.2/docbookx.dtd" > ]> > ^ >

  Well you don't have the DocBook DTDs in the catalogs.

## Threaded regression tests
## generating dba100000.xml
/bin/sh: line 1: dbgenattr.pl: command not found
make: *** [dba100000.xml] Error 127

  Seems perl is not where the dbgenattr.pl expects
    #!/usr/bin/perl

tobi ~/del/compile_libxml/libxml2-2.6.2 $ make install
[...]
/usr/bin/install: cannot stat `./html/index.sgml': No such file or
directory
make[2]: [install-data-local] Error 1 (ignored)
[...]
/bin/sh: line 1: gtkdoc-fixxref: command not found
make[2]: [install-data-local] Error 127 (ignored)

  Seems the GNOME documentation stuff is not installed on your machine.

tobi ~/del/compile_libxml/libxslt-1.1.0 $ make tests
[these seems to be intentional:]
compilation error: file ./test-2.5-1.xsl line 6 element
exciting-new-1.8-feature
xsltStylePreCompute: unknown xsl:exciting-new-1.8-feature
compilation error: file ./test-2.5-1.xsl line 2 element stylesheet
xsl:version: only 1.0 features are supported
[...]
compilation error: file ./bug-60.xsl line 6 element foo-of
xsltStylePreCompute: unknown xsl:foo-of

  Normal.

Should all tests pass? The end of libxml2-2.6.2/result/regexp/xpath
reads:

1: Fail
1ab: Fail
a:1: Fail
@a: Fail
ancestor::a: Fail

  That's normal. To test the regexp support I need to test both
positive and negative regexp tests.

Daniel