Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

On 10/25/2012 11:08 AM, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
It's possible that the right answer is to basically implement the
proposed protocol as an x extension instead of a wm extension.
My thought is that the Window Manager would want to handle some
specifics (to wit: it would want to manage some windows), but the
absolute heart of the problem is that some central authority needs to be
in charge of resolution changes, not every app, and an X extension could
solve that too.
I hope we could agree that nobody wants to change the resolution, but that
faking the "right" resolution for the game window should be enough. In the
Wayland world that is the compositor (easy, controls both screen and input) in
the X world it could be either the compositor (downside no "direct" input in
compositor, unredirection does not work) or the X-Server. If it's in the X-
Server it would just work with all systems and would be without changing all

I strongly disagree on that. Although I usually try to run my games at highest reasonable resolution, I know there are cases when you don't want to make this assumption. For instance:

* For graphics-intensive games (e.g. first person shooters), drawing rate (frames/sec) is very important - some gamers reduce the resolution from native to get higher rates. * For gamers with vision problems, users with really high res monitors, or just games not designed to run at high res, it's really hard to see the proper detail and/or interact with the game

Faking the "right" resolution is also not a silver bullet, as some gamers may use TVs or monitors with built-in antialiasing and (reasonably) expect the low-res game to look nicer than on plain monitor -- this means you can't just upscale the game's resolution blindly.