Re: Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

On 25 Oct 2012 16:05, "Martin Gräßlin" <mgraesslin kde org> wrote:

> On Thursday 25 October 2012 15:27:59 Luke Benstead wrote:
> > On 25 October 2012 15:23, Jasper St. Pierre <jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
> > > On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Nathaniel Smith <njs pobox com> wrote:
> > >
> > > ... snip ...

> > > I don't see how this proposal helps, then: either games have to be
> > > updated to care about the new _NET_WM_STATE value, or they have to be
> > > updated to not set the user's resolution.
> >
> > I started a similar discussion to this on the Wayland mailing list a couple
> > of years ago, I thought some of the discussion there might be relevant:
> > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2010-November/000080.htm
> >
> > Specifically, the idea about not actually changing the resolution, but
> > rendering to a buffer of the correct size (resolution) and upscaling it
> > with appropriate black-barring to account aspect ratio differences.
> not read your thread on the Wayland mailing list, but that sounds exactly like
> the way to go.
>
> And that would also be the way to implement it in X11 if we just had the input
> redirection, though there would be tricks to do that. Only disadvantage: no
> unredirection of fullscreen windows would be possible then.

In this specific case, we sort of do have input redirection - it's just a mouse capture to the given window. And this would solve a lot of other problems. Requiring a compositor in the mix might kill this for games though - Ryan, thoughts?

It's possible that the right answer is to basically implement the proposed protocol as an x extension instead of a wm extension.

-n