Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

In this specific case, we sort of do have input redirection - it's just
a mouse capture to the given window. And this would solve a lot of other
problems. Requiring a compositor in the mix might kill this for games
though - Ryan, thoughts?

This WM hint could certainly be used as a clue that the entire screen is occupied and thus doesn't need compositing. Is that what you were asking?

It's possible that the right answer is to basically implement the
proposed protocol as an x extension instead of a wm extension.

My thought is that the Window Manager would want to handle some specifics (to wit: it would want to manage some windows), but the absolute heart of the problem is that some central authority needs to be in charge of resolution changes, not every app, and an X extension could solve that too.

My instinct is that it's the wrong layer to work in, but it can probably also solve the worst parts of the problem. Let's see if we can agree on a Window Manager solution first, though.

--ryan.