Re: Re: Proposing _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN_EXCLUSIVE

2012/10/25 Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin kde org>:
> On Thursday 25 October 2012 13:39:23 you wrote:
>> > In this specific case, we sort of do have input redirection - it's just
>> > a mouse capture to the given window. And this would solve a lot of other
>> > problems. Requiring a compositor in the mix might kill this for games
>> > though - Ryan, thoughts?
>>
>> This WM hint could certainly be used as a clue that the entire screen is
>> occupied and thus doesn't need compositing. Is that what you were asking?
> no, I think that was not meant. Instead of changing the resolution the
> compositor could upscale the window. This would of course not work if
> unredirection is used.

Well the whole point of changing the resolution in games is to lower
the bandwidth requirements so that they can get a decent framerate
(i.e when the hardware is not powerful enough to run it at full
resolution). Doing scaling tricks at the compositor does not really
help with this.