Re: proposed addition to EWMH: _NET_WM_NORMAL_GEOMETRY

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:24:24 -0700 "Mark Tiefenbruck" <mark fluxbox org>
babbled:

> > If crashing is a big concern for you, you could use a private window
> > property to save that state and restore it after the crash.  That
> > doesn't need any standard defined.
>
> That's not the point. The point is that window managers do need to be
> updated now and then. Do you dispute that?

you still can use a private property entirely defined by your wm :) that is
what we do.

BUT - changing wm's mid-stream means you need to standardise such info, and it
means that a wm doesn't have to undergo a clean shutdown for a new one to kick
in properly.

then again - one would argue... how often do users change wm's? really? is this
worth standardising? i know that it is possible for me to support this - but
its usefulness is dubious as i have other things i also need to store between
restarts too and will still need private properties for this.