Re: proposed addition to EWMH: _NET_WM_NORMAL_GEOMETRY

> This is a poor example.  Surely you can do better than this....  Window
> managers should be able to run indefinitely, just as the X server.

Seriously? Do you maintain a window manager? I guess we might as well
remove SIGSEGV from the kernel. It's a paragon of uselessness.

Whether or not a window manager SHOULD be able to run indefinitely is
irrelevant. Sometimes crashes do happen. Sometimes security issues
arise due to software that wasn't even written when you wrote your
window manager (e.g. a font or image library changing its code). These
problems aren't going away any time soon.

That brings up another example. Suppose the window manager crashes,
or, if you prefer, the user kills the window manager. You can't
restore the windows in this situation because you don't know your
internal state is reliable, among other reasons. If you haven't been
keeping the _NET_WM_NORMAL_GEOMETRY hint up to date, that information
is lost.

Even if I grant that it never happens to users, it does happen to
developers and testers. We have maximized windows, too.

  Mark