Re: proposed addition to EWMH: _NET_WM_NORMAL_GEOMETRY

> You could just have the WM restore its original geometry when shutting
> down, but leave the state hints (max vert, etc) in tact for the new
> window manager.  Then you can do exactly what you want without any new
> hints.

Yes, that's another possibility I considered. First of all, it's just
an ugly way to transfer information -- setting a window property is
less work and less disruptive than two XMoveResizes. Second, all of
that resizing may affect the application in not-so-nice ways; for
instance, I think video players would fall into this category. Third,
there may be other uses of the property than just restoring state. As
an example, a pager might use the information, rather than displaying
the actual geometry. Or, you might have a program similar to 3ddesk
that animates the changing of state and wants to do some rendering in
advance.

  Mark