Re: proposed addition to EWMH: _NET_WM_NORMAL_GEOMETRY

On 7/27/07, Mark Tiefenbruck <mark fluxbox org> wrote:
> > You could just have the WM restore its original geometry when shutting
> > down, but leave the state hints (max vert, etc) in tact for the new
> > window manager.  Then you can do exactly what you want without any new
> > hints.
>
> Yes, that's another possibility I considered. First of all, it's just
> an ugly way to transfer information -- setting a window property is
> less work and less disruptive than two XMoveResizes. Second, all of
> that resizing may affect the application in not-so-nice ways; for
> instance, I think video players would fall into this category.

I don't really see how setting a window property and keeping it up to
date constantly is less work than an XMoveResize one time when you are
shutting down.

Nor do I see how adding a property that all WMs need to code around is
less disruptive than an XMoveResize that lets them know the correct
geometry without having to change anything at all.

And if a window can't handle being resized.. that's kind of funny. Are
your users switching/restarting their WM multiple times a second?