Re: new hint for EWMH

> My pop-up menus with GTK/Gnome/Metacity are happy to go over the dock
> right now, and it seems like the right thing to me... why would you
> expect otherwise?

I'd expect pop-up windows to stay within _NET_WORKAREA because that's
the geometry of the desktop. Windows shouldn't be placed outside it
because they might interfere with important widgets. And just
aesthetically, I think pop-up windows should remain within the window
that owns them; as a bonus, when implemented as child windows, this
avoids all the nastiness of grabbing the server (causing xmms to stop,
breaking alt-tab, etc.), but it's usually not an option.

Anyway, don't bother arguing with that. I know I'm in the minority.
So, how many of these input method windows do you expect to see at a
time? How often do they get moved or resized? Are they free-floating
(like xvkbd), or do they stick to the sides of the screen? I don't
think I'm the only one who's not totally sure how these interactions
take place.

> (Most clients do not select for PropertyNotify on the root window, do
> they?  With all the proposals suggested so far, all apps would have to
> start doing so, with the resulting extranous wakeups and thus power
> problems, not to mention the general memory manager unfriendliness of
> waking up dozens of otherwise-idle programs all at once all the time.)

No, you don't have to listen to the root window continuously. Just
check the property when you need to open a pop-up window.

  Mark