Re: new hint for EWMH

On Sat, Aug 04, 2007 at 08:00:19PM -0700, Mark Tiefenbruck wrote:
> Keeping a list of rectangles up to date seems like too much work,
> though. Maybe a list of windows with the new window type would be
> better, but I don't think this is necessary at all. Pop-up menus
> probably shouldn't be placed over toolbars and docks (which can
> display critical information/interfaces), so _NET_WORKAREA should be
> fine. I would support a window type for things like on-screen
> keyboards; in that case, if the pop-up can't be placed inside the
> _NET_WORKAREA, there would be a fallback for avoiding those.

My pop-up menus with GTK/Gnome/Metacity are happy to go over the dock
right now, and it seems like the right thing to me... why would you
expect otherwise?

(Most clients do not select for PropertyNotify on the root window, do
they?  With all the proposals suggested so far, all apps would have to
start doing so, with the resulting extranous wakeups and thus power
problems, not to mention the general memory manager unfriendliness of
waking up dozens of otherwise-idle programs all at once all the time.)

-- Nathaniel

--
Details are all that matters; God dwells there, and you never get to
see Him if you don't struggle to get them right. -- Stephen Jay Gould