Re: new hint for EWMH

> i think what lubos was getting at is - make the input method window a MANAGED
> window (not override-redirect) and just have a new window type - then let the
> wm place that type of window anywhere it likes (where it thinks is a good idea
> so it won't overlap other windows). i agree - this is cleaner than hinting at
> rectangle lists.

I think the argument against this was for applications opening
override-redirect windows, such as pop-up menus. Placing such a window
appropriately would require going through the client list and checking
which ones have the new window type, then querying the geometry and
visibility of each of those windows.

Keeping a list of rectangles up to date seems like too much work,
though. Maybe a list of windows with the new window type would be
better, but I don't think this is necessary at all. Pop-up menus
probably shouldn't be placed over toolbars and docks (which can
display critical information/interfaces), so _NET_WORKAREA should be
fine. I would support a window type for things like on-screen
keyboards; in that case, if the pop-up can't be placed inside the
_NET_WORKAREA, there would be a fallback for avoiding those.

  Mark