Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

Lubos Lunak (l lunak suse cz):

> On Friday 24 of June 2005 13:40, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:19:36 +0200 Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> babbled:
> > > Yeah, and I'd want $100M and days to have at least 28 hours. That
> > > said, it's questionable if either of this would be actually good
> > > for me. And this still doesn't answer the "why?". There must be a
> > > reason why them want it. So why?
>
>  still no answer ...

  I don't want to drag out this thread much more, I think the answer of
"honour the mwm hints" is a good one.  However, there are examples in
eclipse where we have helper windows that have no trim.

  Basically, any place where you might want to use an override_redirect
window, but would rather not for whatever reason.  Our keybinding helper
window is like this.  It appears in a corner above the window you're in
that has focus Eclipse and lists all the active key bindings for the
current context in a list, and you can select one with the keyboard.

  I think my point is that a standalone window without any WM border may
be hard to justify, but often if the window is a logical part of another
application, it may be appropriate to avoid having a border.

  Another interesting example would be implementing MacOS X style
drawers, although this would probably require a WM hint anyway to do
properly.

  -Billy