Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Friday 24 of June 2005 12:44, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:54:54 +0200 Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> babbled:
> >  I yet to have actually see somebody saying a single reason why this is
> > really
>
> application developers want it AND end application and wm users want it
> too.

 Yeah, and I'd want $100M and days to have at least 28 hours. That said, it's
questionable if either of this would be actually good for me. And this still
doesn't answer the "why?". There must be a reason why them want it. So why?

> i second bradley's comments. recently i found a bug with xmms on amd64
> - it doesnt handle 64bit properly which means its mwm hints are messed up
> and have memory garbage in some of the fields. i have had to spend time
> debugging my code on;y to find it was fine - the properties on the amd64
> box were screwed. the issue was brought to me by several users complaining
> - wondering why their xmms didnt work properly. they considered the border
> beign there to be a bug - an issue - something they didnt expect and didnt
> want.

 But that's only because they got used to it this way. I actually use xmms
myself. I know the UI sucks, I hate its Gtk dialogs, especially the fileopen
one, but I still use it, simply because I got so used to it. That doesn't
suddenly change what xmms is. And getting used to xmms working that way
doesn't change anything on the fact that there's no good reason why xmms
should have its window WM controls.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/