Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Friday 24 of June 2005 13:40, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:19:36 +0200 Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> babbled:
> >  Yeah, and I'd want $100M and days to have at least 28 hours. That said,
> > it's questionable if either of this would be actually good for me. And
> > this still doesn't answer the "why?". There must be a reason why them
> > want it. So why?

 still no answer ...

> the difference is - borderless windows is easy to provide - $100m is not :)
>
> >  But that's only because they got used to it this way. I actually use
> > xmms myself. I know the UI sucks, I hate its Gtk dialogs, especially the
> > fileopen
>
> and then the logic behind having a taskbar, start menu etc. must be
> entirely flawed. we should not have panels at the bottom of the screen -
> users are used to these. why do they get provided? to make users happy.
> they may want things for irrational reasons - but they still want them. :)

 the difference is - custom wm controls is a stupid idea - taskbar is not :)

 Or at least we don't have anything better than taskbars and start menus.
There's nothing inherently wrong with taskbars and start menu, they may have
their problems, but they're more or less fine. That's not the case with apps
trying to provide their own wm controls just for the fun of it.

> > one, but I still use it, simply because I got so used to it. That doesn't
> > suddenly change what xmms is. And getting used to xmms working that way
> > doesn't change anything on the fact that there's no good reason why xmms
> > should have its window WM controls.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/