Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Friday 24 of June 2005 12:26, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:45:54 +0200 Lubos Lunak <l lunak suse cz> babbled:
> >  There is a way to identify a particular app and window from it uniquely.
> > For app, just WM_CLASS, for a specific window WM_CLASS + WM_WINDOW_ROLE.
> > The ICCCM is quite clear on these I think, and that's what KWin uses for
> > identifying windows for its window-specific settings. Of course, a large
> > number of apps get it wrong, either completely or just kind of wrong[*],
> > and the first release of KWin with this feature didn't work that well
> > because I had to add detection of the various ways of getting it wrong.
>
> thats the problem. my current favorite examples are anything SDL or wine
> based. wine sets ALL widnows to class wine - WRONG. it should at least be
> the app.exe - as now 1 wine window for 1 app is the same as another - not
> so. SDL does the same. no matter how u go with the specs - apps get it
> wrong. forcing something in xlib might help...

 But that's a problem of the apps. They need to get fixed. Moreover you can't
do much anyway. You're completely out of luck in the case of identifying a
specific window - that's simply impossible to determine somehow that some
window is a file open dialog without the app actually saying so. Even hacking
around the improper WM_CLASS wouldn't be easy ... what would you want to set,
argv[0]? That still fails for Wine.

KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l lunak suse cz , l lunak kde org
Drahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 9654 2373
190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374
Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/