Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:03:57 +0100 Bill Haneman <Bill Haneman Sun COM> babbled:

> I usually just lurk on this list, but I have to disagree with the " we
> don't need it" school.
>
> I think that "please don't decorate me" is a perfectly sane request
> (it's a hint, after all). If we don't have a hint like that, apps will
> have to abuse DOCK or override-redirect to get what they want, and we
> all know those two approaches have their own side-effects (worse, IMO,
> than allowing apps to request no-decoration).

indeed. it's common enough to ask for no decoration. there are many ways to get
there. but having a well defined simple way to do it is good. mwm hints seem to
work well - if the wm uses them as an EXPLICIT decorate me or not hint and lets
that override window type

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com
裸好多                              raster deephackmode org
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)