Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 12:21 +0200, Philipp Lohmann - Sun Germany - ham02
- Hamburg wrote:
> We're mixing two things here. As you correctly say the original popup
> implementation without grabbing had its drawbacks in "focus strictly
> under mouse" case, because leaving the window even when entering just
> the override redirect popup would cause the WM to take the focus out of
> the app window. Still i got the focus into the popup which was IMHO a
> bug in the WM (metacity in that case).

It's not a bug in the WM that I see, except for the fact that "focus
strictly under mouse" is inherently a bug ;-) The difference between
strictly and sloppy is that in strict mouse focus you unfocus on
LeaveNotify (and popups do cause a LeaveNotify). Is there some easy fix
other WMs use?

I firmly believe that mouse focus modes can't be made to work correctly,
and that apps can't sanely be written to work well with all focus modes
at once, and that a sane platform would therefore hardcode click to
focus mode and be done with it so apps could be designed well, but I
have these modes in metacity anyway due to extensive whining ;-)