Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:30:26 +0200 Philipp Lohmann - Sun Germany - ham02 -
Hamburg <Philipp Lohmann Sun COM> babbled:

> > scenario:
> > in app i click on titlebar (and quickly release mouse button). standard
> > behavior: menu pops up.
> > now... i go mousing around the screen moving into another app's window, pop
> > up ITS menu this way... then i go do some similar things. before you know it
> > the screen is pure anarchy. you need to grab both mouse and keyboard to stop
> > anything else getting input events at all until the menu is done. :) so
> > arguable this was an ooo bug from the point of design. :)
>
> Not really. As i said the popups would close when the application window
> lost focus. When you go "mousing around" as you say that's exactly what
> should happen, either because you click into another application or
> because there's one of the "focus follows mouse" variants active.

but the app was losing focus for a very good reason - the wm was obeying its
focus policy. the way menus were done was such that displaying the menu would
validly trigger the focus policy - and the wm has no way of knowing otherwise if
it should really remove the focus or not because it has no idea what this new
override redirect window is - just that the client app window got a leave event
and not due to a grab etc.

> > nb - its not that wm's set focus TO the override redirect window - they see
> > the mouse EXIT the app window for a reason other than a grab and go "ooh -
> > mouse exited the app - must remove focus" and so ooo loses the focus - thus
> > control over keyboard and thus decided it is time to give up on menus :)
>
> That's your theory. The XEvents i received said that the popup got the
> focus. With all due respect i'll trust the Xserver more than your theory ;-)

not theory - i was wathcing the events from the wm's side and was using xmon
logs too. i was working with my wm and ooo - i knwo what was happening.
enlightenment gor a mouse out from the app window (as it entered the menu
window) BUT the mouse leave DETAILS and MODE did not indicate a grab - they
simply indicated the same kind of mouse out you would get with the window
entering any other widnow on screen that may become overlayed above the client
the mouse was over (a new window, etc.). e went "ooh mouse out" obeying strict
pointer focus and thus ooo lost the focus - closing its menu. at this point the
menu window was closed - e got the mouse in again for the app and slapped focus
back onto ooo. the fact is the events do not help you differentiate if this
window was a menu window for the app or some other override redirect window some
other program put up (some splash screen or something that isnt managed). :)

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster rasterman com
裸好多                              raster deephackmode org
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)