Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 21:33 +0100, Bill Haneman wrote:
> For 'normal' popups like menus, I agree with you that the toolkit
> probably should be using _NET_WORKAREA intelligently.   But I really
> don't know that this is 'simpler' because you have to fix every toolkit,
> and every app that works-around the toolkit or does this in a
> non-standard way, and you have to get every toolkit maintainer to accept
> your patches, etc.  Given that the WM is being invoked as a sort of
> standard bearer for 'good behavior', why not fix it there?  Besides,
> even for menus, I don't think the toolkit can get it right for
> accessibility using override-redirect because, for instance...

Popup menus as they currently work can't be window managed, because the
toolkit wants to grab the keyboard/mouse (and if you let the WM delay
the window mapping, there's a race condition where you have to wait for
the map prior to the grab).

To do popup menus as managed a couple things are needed:
 - they have to behave in Windows style (pop down on unfocus)
   rather than current "pop down on click elsewhere"
 - a new _NET_WM_TYPE so window managers don't try to place
   the menu or other such screwups