Re: Still need a hint for undecorated windows

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 10:42:56 +0200 Philipp Lohmann - Sun Germany - ham02 -
Hamburg <Philipp Lohmann Sun COM> babbled:

> I'd not coin that "want to" but "have to". OOo's popups worked without
> grabbing the focus until WMs came up with the "Focus exactly under
> mouse" mode which in fact puts the focus even into an override redirect
> window and removing it from the corresponding application window. This
> not only would make OOo close the popup again (arguably OOo's fault) but
> would also display the application window as inactive. In theory there
> is no deed to grab the pointer while a popup menu is open; in reality
> WMs make it necessary.

actually multiple apps/clients make it necessary - not wm's :)

scenario:
in app i click on titlebar (and quickly release mouse button). standard
behavior: menu pops up.
now... i go mousing around the screen moving into another app's window, pop up
ITS menu this way... then i go do some similar things. before you know it the
screen is pure anarchy. you need to grab both mouse and keyboard to stop
anything else getting input events at all until the menu is done. :) so arguable
this was an ooo bug from the point of design. :)

nb - its not that wm's set focus TO the override redirect window - they see the
mouse EXIT the app window for a reason other than a grab and go "ooh - mouse
exited the app - must remove focus" and so ooo loses the focus - thus control
over keyboard and thus decided it is time to give up on menus :)

all in all its an ooo issues - very much like issues i see more and mroe of apps
written for window or to work on windows AND x and then just not do the x side
properly (as more and more windows programmers work on the code and forget about
x and it's way of doing things, or it just doesnt get as much testing on x -
either way, i see a nasty trend to such bad behavior - in firefox too, ooo,
java, and well the usual culprit wine - but it has a good excuse :) ) :)