Re: move/resize handling again

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 02:57:25PM -0600, Ben Jansens wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 07:23:44PM +0100, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> > I did a quick tests of many of the window managers shipping with
> > Debian 3.0.  I fired up a mozilla 1.1 window and pressed F11 to
> > resize it to full screen mode and back.  Results:
> >
> >   x = Crashes, does not move the window or shows very strange
> >       behaviour
> >   i = ICCCM compliant
> >   n,w,nw,se = Window travels in the given direction
> >   - = not tested
>
> Well, just to tip the scales :) I did this in my own.

Hehe, I just tested the ones with "wm" in their names plus a few
others that I remembered :-)  And I left out the wms that we
already know how they work.

> > On a "legacy" wm, the window should travel nw.  In no particular
> > order:

[snip]

> >   8 x
> >   8 i
>    9 i
> >   5 nw
> >   4 n/se/w
> >   3 -
> >  28 total

I should have elaborated on the 'x' and 'n/se/w' factions a bit.
Most of them work the "legacy" way when making the window full
screen:  they place the top left corner of the client window at
0 0 and hide the wm frame.  But when you press F11 again to get
back the old geometry, they do funny things:  shift the window
to one of the directions, keep the full screen size, place it at
the pointer position, hang, crash, etc.

To sum it up:  there are lots of wms representing either school
(and lots that were not even tested).  On average, the ICCCM
compliant wms are less buggy.  There are a number of well written
wms of the "legacy" school, but a whole lot more that are totally
buggy.  To be honest I am a bit surprised that there are at least
8 different ways wms treat COnfigureRequests :-(  Horrible.

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --
Dominik Vogt, dominik vogt gmx de