Re: Proposal for ConfigureRequest handling

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 06:31:31PM +0200, Marko Macek wrote:
> Dominik Vogt wrote:
>

> > The window manager is allowed to change the client window's
> > gravity, but no other applications may do so.
>
> It is?

I know reading something in the O'Reilly book (Xlib Programming
Manual, Vol 1) about it.  Somewhere there is a table of the
window attributes that the window manager is allowed to change.  I
can't find that section right now.

> The client window's actual window gravity is specified in the XWMHints.
> Where does it say that WM should use another gravity?

Nobody says it *should* use another gravity, but it *may* set the
win_gravity *window attribute* to a different value.  This isn't
necessarily the same as in the hints.  The WM can also set, say,
E gravity and treat the window as if it had SW gravity when
reconfiguring it.

> The gravity on the window obviously doesn't matter for this
> purpose.
>
> Of course, after testing only metacity and icewm (1.2.0) do it like
> this. No other WM seems to support the window gravity as specified by
> current wm-spec (I tried fvwm2, fluxbox, wmaker using the test program
> posted here recently by Matthias Clasen)

Yeah.  Like I said, generations of older window managers have
ignored this rule because clients have ignored it (or vice
versa?).

Bye

Dominik ^_^  ^_^

 --